Minister of State for Housing and Urban Planning Damien English praised RGDATA and the Heritage Council for organising and planning the Town Centre Health Check Pilot. The Minister was opening the Town Centre Health Check event in Dublin Castle on Thursday 16 March.
Click here to read the Minister's speech.
RGDATA Director General Tara Buckley told Matt Cooper on The Last Word that an RGDATA survey showed that an overwhelming majority thought the current system for setting commercial rates was unfair and should be reformed. Over 90% of respondents were dissatisfied with the services from their local authority. She said RGDATA had met with senior civil servants about the Government's proposed Bill to reform commercial rates.
Local Government Minister Simon Coveney says the Bill he is bringing to Government will reform commercial rates and allow local authorities to cut rates for certain businesses in an effort to revitalise main streets. The new Bill will also introduce a 12 month payment system and will consolidate the 20 pieces of legislation relating to commercial rates into one more straightforward system. RGDATA will be reviewing the proposed Bill and welcomes any views from members about reforming the rates system.
Have you completed the RGDATA Rates Survey 2017? If not take five minutes to do it here.
RGDATA's campaign to reduce shop insurance costs and claims hit the headlines this week with a feature in The Sunday Business Post highlighting the major frustration the independent shop owners have with spiralling insurance costs and the management of claims.
Click here to read the Sunday Business Post article.
The Retail Consultation Forum quarterly meeting in Iveagh House on 27 February chaired by Minister Mary Mitchell O'Connor heard updates on Brexit, Town Centre Revival, Retail Skills & Training and the reform of the PAYE system. RGDATA Director General Tara Buckley urged the Forum to support radical measures to address the unsustainable escalation in shop insurance costs.
An RGDATA delegation led by Tara Buckley will meet with Minister of State at the Department of Finance Eoghan Murphy prior to its presentation to the Government's Working Group on Insurance costs on Thursday 2 March. RGDATA will outline a series of radical proposals to address spiralling shop insurance costs.
EU officials have been in touch with RGDATA and The Heritage Council about the pilot Town Centre Health Check programme. The EU is interested in sharing information about programmes that will assist with the revitalisation of town and village centers.
Wednesday 22 March, Killashee Hotel, Naas, Co Kildare. This is an excusive deal - RGDATA members go free! The full conference rate is €175. Click here for all the details.
More Articles ...
- Fingal County Council Defer Proposed Material Alterations Pending Study
- Minister Humphreys announces pilot scheme to encourage more residents in Town & Village centres
- Principal policy areas that the National Planning Framework should address: RGDATA submission
- RGDATA Social Media Half-Hour Webinars – available for members and their staff for FREE until mid January 2017
- Suspicious “Jackpotting” activity at ATMs: Garda warning
- RGDATA meets with Minister Damien English re Urban Renewal & Town Centre Revitalisation
- National Planning Framework Expert Advisory Group: RGDATA submission
- Retail Consultation Forum Sub Group on Skills and Training
- RGDATA to meet with Minister Damien English re Urban Renewal & Town Centre Revitalisation
- National Planning Framework Advisory Group meets with Minister Coveney